Going Forward: Best Practices and Considerations for Nonprofit Re-engagement
View “Going Forward: Nonprofit Re-engagement” Webinar (presented June 9, 2020)
Navigating the post-pandemic world will be a challenge for nonprofits, but the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits, along with a task force of nonprofit and faith leaders throughout the state, has developed this set of guidelines to aid in this endeavor. The Going Forward: Best Practices and Considerations for Nonprofit Re-engagement guidelines are intended simply as recommendations for organizations as those organizations put their own plans in place. Should nonprofits or congregations have specific questions regarding legal or financial issues, they should consult their own counsel and financial professionals. If not outlined in this document, we recommend that organizations consult guidelines from other sources in their respective fields or contact the Center for Nonprofits for further advice.
Tools & Information for the Oklahoma Business Relief Program
Tools & Information for SBA Payroll Protection Program (PPP)
- Accounting for PPP Loan Forgiveness
- PPP Loan Forgiveness Application
- SBA Business Loan Program Temporary Changes Document (updated 4.24.20)
- PPP Application Tutorial
- EIDL Application Tutorial
- Zip File containing all documents (updated 4.4.20)
- PPP Borrower Application Form (updated 4.4.20)
- PPP FAQ (updated 4.4.20)
- Faith Based FAQ (updated 4.4.20)
- PPP-IFRN Final Guidelines (updated 4.4.20)
- PPP Calculation Worksheet
- SBA Lenders
Notice: Should your nonprofit apply for and receive any of the SBA loans available to you, remember that repayment requirements or forgiveness contingencies are between your organization and the lending institution. The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits cannot guarantee any terms of those loans or repayment terms. Please work with the lending institution or the Small Business Administration.
According to the Oklahoma Dept. of Commerce, when calculating loan amount, the applicant may use average monthly payroll for the period between February 15 and June 30, 2019. An applicant that was not in business during that period may use the average monthly payroll costs for the period January 1 through February 29, 2020.
Articles of Interest (in order of publication date)
- COVID-19 Employer Information for Office Buildings (CDC; updated May 27)
- Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness Interim Final Rule (NCN)
- SBA provides safe harbor for PPP loans under $2 million (The Journal of Accountancy; published May 13)
- What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws (EEOC; published April 23)
- Educate, empathize in social media strategy during coronavirus (TechTarget; published April 23)
- More than $800,000 to be invested in jobs, nonprofits statewide through Oklahoma Arts Council, Oklahoma Humanities (published April 21, 2020)
- It’s Different This Time: Handling Nonprofit Staff Cuts under COVID-19 (Nonprofit Quarterly; published April 1, 2020)
- The CARES Act May Help Your Nonprofit Retain Its Staff (The Foundation Group; published March 31, 2020)
- COVID-19 Survival Tips for Arts Organizations (Future Fundraising Now; published March 26, 2020)
- Article Archive
Oklahoma Charitable Event Updates
Many Oklahoma nonprofits have rescheduled or cancelled their events due to COVID-19. Visit the OKCNP Charitable Events Calendar for a list of changes and to view a complete list of Oklahoma nonprofit events.
- July 8, 2020 – Nonprofit Sector Conversation (Legal Issues Surrounding Coronavirus, featuring Alex Towler, attorney)
- July 1, 2020 – Nonprofit Sector Conversation (Census 2020)
- July 1, 2020 – OKCNP Consultant Helpline (Oklahoma Business Relief Program)
- June 24, 2020 – Nonprofit Sector Conversation (Vacation to Donation – and what is happening as COVID-19 numbers surge with Dr. John Armitage)
June 17, 2020 – Nonprofit Sector Conversation (Managing in a crisis, featuring Carrie Vesely Henderson, Carrie Sanders and Chris Bernard)
- June 10, 2020 – Nonprofit Sector Conversation (Fundraising)
- June 10, 2020 – OKCNP Consultant Helpline (PPP Flexibility Act Update)
- Video Archive
COVID-19 FUNDS AND GRANTS FOR NONPROFITS
This is a partial list of the grants/funds we have been made aware of that are available for nonprofits to apply for during the pandemic. If you are aware of additional funds you believe should be listed here, please click here to let us know.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program – The agencies chosen to receive funds must be private, voluntary nonprofits or units of government, be eligible to receive federal funds, have an accounting system, practice nondiscrimination, have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs and, if they are a private voluntary organization, have a voluntary board.
- Arnall Family Foundation: COVID-19 Child Welfare Rapid Response Fund – For organizations in Oklahoma who serve children, youth, and families impacted by the child welfare and juvenile justice systems.
- Oklahoma City Community Foundation: 2020 Disaster Relief Fund – Organizations providing services and assistance to individuals impacted by COVID-19 are eligible to apply to receive a grant from the fund, beginning April 1, including: Nonprofits, Churches, Government Agencies and Schools
- Tulsa Community Foundation and the Tulsa Area United Way: Tulsa Area COVID19 Response Fund – Funds will be used to support local nonprofit agencies addressing the needs of individuals who are experiencing COVID-19-related hardship, primarily due to temporary unemployment, lost income or unexpected food and childcare expenses.
- United Way of Central Oklahoma: COVID-19 Response Fund – This fund will support Partner Agencies of United Way of Central Oklahoma, United Way of Logan County and United Way of Canadian County. It will be used to address the needs of those individuals who are experiencing COVID-19-related hardship primarily due to temporary unemployment, lost income or unexpected expenses related and due to COVID-19.
ADDITIONAL COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR NONPROFITS
- Oklahoma Employment Resources
- Oklahoma Volunteer Resources
- Greater Oklahoma City Chamber COVID-19 Resources
- Oklahoma Health Care Authority: Telehealth
- Oklahoma Unemployment Benefits
- Oklahoma State Department of Health; Hotline (877) 215-8336
- Governor’s Declaration of Essential Businesses
- OKC COVID-19 Resources
- Centers for Disease Control
- IRS: Employee Retention Credit Under the CARES Act
- U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- CISA Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce
- EIDL Account Registration Page
- Families First Corona Virus Response Act Compliance Guidance (Nonprofit Solutions)
- BoardSource: Blog; Facebook; COVID-19 Response; Virtual Board Meetings
- Downtown OKC Partnership Updates
- FFCRA and CARES Act: What employers need to know (Free Paycom podcast)
- Oklahoma Partnership for School Readiness: Early Childhood Resources
- Standards for Excellence Institute Resources
- Tech Soup: FREE Pivoting to Remote Work Course Track
- U.S. Travel Association Response: Coronavirus
- Virtual Teams Tips
- World Health Organization (WHO)