Nonprofit Consultant Senior Manager
Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits staff of consulting professionals are incisive strategists, critical thinkers, and facilitative leaders. We work individually or in teams of consultants that are assembled to reflect our client’s consulting needs and our staff’s areas of expertise. Our consultants bring years of practical experience and leadership with foundations and nonprofit organizations. We work with organizations of various lifecycle stages, across a broad range of issues, and diversity of people and missions including: youth and education, health and human services, arts and culture, immigration reform, criminal justice, and human rights. As consultants, our fundamental role is to guide clients in doing more impactful work by helping them make informed decisions and manage their work effectively and efficiently in order to support lasting change. The consulting team provides the direct support that enables our agency to live into its mission to build better communities through effective nonprofits. Our work typically engages our nonprofit clients as active participants and collaborators.
Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits is currently seeking an exceptional and versatile full-time Consultant to join OKCNP’s nonprofit consulting work and to contribute as part of our high quality team of classroom nonprofit educators and facilitative leaders. This position will join the training and consulting team that delivers professional development, leadership training, and consulting services to the nonprofit sector. We work with a broad range of nonprofit organizations, helping them address fundamental questions about their mission, vision, impact, programs and operations. Ultimately, our goal is to help our clients determine how they can best use their resources to address increasingly complex problems and make lasting change.
This consultant will manage and/or lead projects in a variety of nonprofit support categories including board of director governance training, strategic planning and capacity building, executive coaching, and team development. Additionally, this role will also be a regular contributor to the Center’s courses and will be expected to provide skill-building workshops that are engaging and informative. We are looking for someone who is self-directed but also works well in team settings with diverse staff and institutional partners; who can juggle work on multiple projects simultaneously; and who is stimulated by working within a fast-paced, dynamic and supportive environment. This is client-centered work, so a demonstrated track record of successful relationship management is essential.
The successful candidate will be highly knowledgeable about the nonprofit sector; conversant with nonprofit management and governance; and passionate about maximizing sustained social impact. Candidates with experience in related legal or financial fields, and/or with experience leading nonprofit organizations with a proven track record for excellence are preferred. Exceptional writing skills are a must, as is the acumen to analyze complex organizational and social problems and present information in a way that facilitates executive-level decision-making.
This position requires travel to all areas of Oklahoma. Minimal overnight travel is required depending on client locations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, organizational leadership, human resources management, or related field is required; or related equivalent experience. Master’s degree or terminating professional degree preferred.
- A minimum of five to ten years of relevant work experience in the nonprofit sector.
- Previous experience with consulting and/or project management required.
- Experience working in diverse communities and across social, economic and cultural differences strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience desirable.
- Exceptional writing skills: Consultants must have the ability to present complex concepts, findings and recommendations in succinct, salient, and readable reports and memos
- Exceptional analytical skills: Ability to tackle large and complex problems in topic areas of interest to our clients by parsing out issues, weighing pros and cons, and developing recommendations
- Strong oral communication and presentation skills: Ability to facilitate meetings, present reports, and think on your feet in meetings
- Strong client relations skills: Ability to pick up on different organizational cultures and work with a wide range of different types of nonprofit leadership, including boards
- Excellent interpersonal skills: Ability to work well both as a member of a team and independently
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-starter: Ability to manage and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, delegate work efficiently, and take direction from multiple project managers
- Strong capacity to be self-reflective, commitment to personal and professional growth; Intellectual curiosity, creativity, strong desire and capacity for diversity in professional challenges
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Internet search engines and databases. Familiarity with Salesforce, Asana, and Adobe Suite of products preferred.
- Sense of humor and commitment to ensuring a congenial, collaborative, and respectful work place
- This position requires travel to all areas of Oklahoma, depending on client needs and location. Reliable transportation is required. Reimbursement for mileage is at the federal rate, currently .58 cents per mile. Some overnight travel is required depending on driving distance and the scope of project work.
Strategy and Governance Advising
- Assessing organizational strengths and challenges
- Surveying the landscape or “ecosystem” in which clients conduct their work to identify targets of opportunity
- Identifying and articulating potential pathways for clients to consider to help maximize their impact and achieve their goals
- Assessing the organizational capacity of nonprofit clients and guiding their approach to improve and strengthen organizational systems and governance
- Recommending capacity building opportunities through the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits’ 200+ trainings per year.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Conducting and analyzing interviews
- Reviewing and summarizing secondary data, including research reports and client background materials
- Analyzing quantitative data
- Leading and actively participating in team meetings to discuss and develop findings and recommendations
- Developing written reports and presentations summarizing analysis and recommendations
- Write strategy and plans as a result of facilitated conversations, including formal strategic plans
Facilitation and Presentation
- Planning and helping facilitate meetings with boards, staff members and other stakeholders
- Developing meeting agendas and meeting reports for clients
- Preparing and assisting in making presentations to clients
- Provide instruction and leadership in the Center’s capacity-building courses including Standards for Excellence©, Nonprofit Management Certification Programs, Leaders’ Circle, Bootcamp for Boards, and more.
- Providing day-to-day project management and communication
- Developing and monitoring project work plans and budgets
- Experience with Asana project management is a plus.
- Supervising the project work of support staff to meet the needs of the projects
- Building client relations, including email and telephone communication, and in-person meetings
- Excellent customer service and professionalism
- Administration of contracts and delivery of service in accordance with a workplan
Supporting Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits Contribution to the Nonprofit Sector
- Working on teams in the development and implementation of strategies to attract new mission-driven work to Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits
- Researching, identifying prospective nonprofit clients, and following up on leads
- Helping prepare for and participate in meetings with prospective clients
- Drafting proposals, including proposed budgets and work plans
- Representing Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits at sector conferences and meetings
Position Reports to
Director of Consulting
To Apply for this Job
Please submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements and two samples of your previous project work to Matt Cordray at email@example.com.
The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits will not tolerate bullying, discrimination, or harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, age, gender identity, disability, or any other intrinsic characteristic protected by law.
Sunday, December 8, 2019