Legislative & Outreach Director
OK Policy is now hiring for its Legislative and Outreach Director. This position is responsible for representing the organization by developing and maintaining close working relationships with key audiences and partners, including members of the Oklahoma Legislature, community organizations, and grassroots advocates. The position is responsible for developing and executing strategies to meet OK Policy’s goals and objectives. The salary range is $48,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience.
- Build and maintain relationships with members of the Oklahoma Legislature and relevant Committee staff.
- Partner with the Policy team to advance OK Policy’s legislative priorities including providing political
and strategic legislative expertise.
- Oversee legislative tracking, including identifying and elevating substantive policy and political
opportunities or risks to OK Policy’s priorities.
- Manage legislative and outreach staff. Will be responsible for participation in interviewing, hiring,
and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing
complaints; and resolving problems.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to guide legislative and community outreach
programs, aligned with the organization's strategic plan, with the objective of maintaining open,
positive, reciprocal, and constructive relationships with all interested parties.
- Oversee the development and implementation of outreach activities, programs, events, and
initiatives including but not limited to: outreach for special projects, organizing volunteer activities,
attending community events and meetings, participating in community organizations, engaging in
authentic relationship through open communication, assisting in the development of community related
collateral material and messaging.
- Manage and support grant‐related work including partnering with the development team to identify
funding opportunities, assisting with grant writing and reporting, implementing deliverables, and
managing grant‐related and overall team budget plans in coordination with the Operations team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Proven ability to forecast short and long‐term implications of policy changes and political trends.
- Expert‐level understanding of the Oklahoma policy environment, including the state Legislature,
government agencies, and interest groups.
- Demonstrated experience managing a diverse team.
- Comfortable and effective working as part of a culturally diverse staff and alongside diverse
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to focus on details without losing sight of “the big picture”.
- Precision, attention to detail, and excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated skills in professional writing.
- Experience and enthusiasm for working in a fast‐paced, dynamic, and high‐pressure environment
with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively one‐on‐one, in group settings, and in public presentations.
- Self‐motivated and can work well both independently and within a team.
Position Reports to:
Hours and Salary:
40 hours $48k-$60k commensurate with experience
To Apply for this Job:
Complete the job application here
Along with the application, you will be asked to submit:
- Resume with at least three professional references,
- A professional writing sample, and
- A cover letter that includes your interest in the position, a detailed explanation of how your experience meets the qualifications and prepares you for the responsibilities outlined in the job description, a brief description of your current understanding of OK Policy’s mission, any previous involvement you had had with OK Policy, and your salary expectations.
Friday, September 25, 2020