Chief Operating Officer
Tulsa Remote is a unique recruitment initiative aimed at attracting talented individuals to Tulsa. The program brings remote workers and digital nomads to the community by providing grants and numerous community-building opportunities. Since the program's inception in 2018, Tulsa Remote has evaluated nearly 20,000 applications from over 150 countries and all 50 states, helped over 100 participants move to Tulsa, and has been part of a national dialogue to facilitate changes in remote work, community collaboration, and talent attraction. The organization now seeks a Chief Operating Officer to help build infrastructure and facilitate continued success.
The COO position is an initiative-taking role involving a mix of operating, managerial, planning, and engagement/outreach activities. The COO will be supported by a team which now includes a Director of Community Engagement and a Director of Operations, with a total headcount of 7 and plans for rapid growth.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the organization including marketing, finance, community relations, talent management, application and intake evaluation, program management and technology;
- Work proactively with the Executive Director to create partnerships with local, regional, and national organizations which promote remote employment and entrepreneurial activities;
- Assess the needs of current participants and the applicant pool to identify high-value programming, mentorship, and partnerships to add to the Tulsa Remote portfolio;
- Oversee and maintain the culture of the organization to fulfill both its civic mission and its growth/economic aspirations;
- Craft 'Best Practices' as the enterprise scales, so that successes can be rapidly expanded and failures used as a catalyst for continuous improvement;
- Be a passionate advocate for remote work both inside Tulsa and on a national level and help create strategies for engaging with diverse communities who may not be aware of less traditional employment models;
- Perform other duties as required to meet the mission and objectives of Tulsa Remote.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a track-record building an organization in a rapidly changing environment. This should include:
- 5+ years of prior experience in operations, experience in leadership and/or non-profit operations preferred
- Proven leadership and management experience which includes working with diverse stakeholders up, down and across organizations.
- Solid functional experience including budgeting and financial management, principles of marketing and demand generation, familiarity with current practices in social media and stakeholder communications, and a facility with technology and business analysis.
- Experience as a change- agent building systems and processes across a rapidly growing organization or initiative.
- Success managing a team of professionals and the ability to recognize and attract talent.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; advanced degrees or other evidence of intellectual curiosity highly advantageous.
- Live in, or able to relocate to Tulsa, OK
Competencies and Skills
- A strong and enduring commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Conducts all activities with integrity in alignment with principles of the George Kaiser Family Foundation
- A high-energy influencer with a bias for action; knows how to lead and know how to get things done
- Strong sense of fiscal stewardship and ability to quickly grasp and apply organizational values to financial analyses
- Ability and flexibility to perform and adapt in a fast-paced, start-up environment with ongoing refinements to processes and scope of work
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to balance competing priorities while maintaining efficiency; ability to establish goals and execute with limited supervision
- Advanced strategy and planning skills, including ability to think strategically on both organizational and systemic levels over multi-year horizons.
- Cultural competency: Empathy and ability to build rapport with individuals from various cultures, experiences and backgrounds
- Ability to regularly work weekends, holidays, and non-traditional hours
- Ability to work from multiple locations from within the city of Tulsa, sometimes within the same day
- Some travel may be required
Is this role a good fit? You decide.
- You get community-building. You speak the language. Your experience with established organizations, mature businesses and start-ups, and individuals from all over the country positions you to support a diverse group of pioneers.
- You have a collaborative and inclusive approach to leadership. You naturally build strong relationships and establish credibility with a wide-range of leaders and participants as a trusted colleague.
- You are an exceptional communicator. You know how to synthesize and translate information for a broad spectrum of audiences, from policy makers to the media to community members.
- You are adaptable, strategic and agile. You naturally anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan, and when things don’t go according to plan - you know how to roll with the punches.
- You’re a master planner and capacity builder. You know how to operationalize program strategy and develop the plans, processes and people to execute, ensuring the enterprise runs smoothly and goals are met.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws or regulations. We are an e-verify employer.
If you have a difficulty applying for any job posted on this website because a disability prevents you from using the online system, we offer the following alternate application procedure: Contact Human Resources at 918-947-6215, and we will arrange for an alternate method of applying and will consider your application together with all other applications received for the job. Please call only for such application assistance.
To Apply for this Job:
Or visit the TCF at www.tulsacf.org