Garden Maintenance AmeriCorps Member
Global Gardens is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that uses school- and community-based gardening programs to promote nutritional health, learning engagement, peacefulness and empowerment among low-income students and families.
Global Gardens is partnering with Red River Community Corps’ Healthy Futures Oklahoma AmeriCorps program to promote healthy eating habits and lifestyles, reduce food insecurity, and fight adult and childhood obesity. For this partnership, Global Gardens seeks AmeriCorps Members to serve as Garden Maintenance Service Member at Global Gardens sites during summer 2020. Position begins May 26 and runs through August 31. Average 25 hours/week.
Garden Maintenance Service Members will perform a range of activities related to maintaining and enhancing Global Gardens’ garden sites, distributing harvested food, communicating with GG families and community partners, and preparing for the eventual return of families and students to the gardens.
This is an AmeriCorps State position. AmeriCorps is a national service volunteer program and AmeriCorps Members are not traditional employees, staff or volunteers. Applicants must be eligible to serve as an AmeriCorps State Member.
Meet eligibility requirements for AmeriCorps service, including:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident
- Complete a National Service Criminal History Check and a Global Gardens background check
- High School Diploma or GED
- Reliable transportation (does not need to have a car but must be able to get to site and any other necessary location related to AmeriCorps service.)
- If driving, Driver’s License and good driving record
- Public Speaking skills
- Basic Computer skills
- Ability to balance tasks
- Gardening experience preferred
- Ability to work in hot weather
- Self-motivation, ability to take initiative and work independently
- Flexibility in meeting emerging needs and enhancing team capacity
- Ability to engage, motivate and build relationships with diverse groups of people
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Knowledge and experience of planting, cultivation, harvest and food preparation preferred
- An aligned core value for healthy living and lifestyle
- Provide weekly garden maintenance, including weeding, watering, mulching, mowing and other related tasks.
- Participate in garden-based work projects to increase growing capacity.
- Harvest, package and deliver produce in a safe and efficient manner.
- Communicate with GG families and community partners through phone, text, zoom and other means as requested by Garden Educators.
- Assist with securing and delivering needed gardening supplies.
- Submit required time sheets and reports in a timely manner.
- Complete all AmeriCorps training and service requirements.
- Complete other, related tasks as needs arise.
Position Reports to:
Director of Gardens
Hours and Salary:
Living Allowance of $478 bi-weekly; Education award of $1311.11To Apply for this Job:
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Friday, June 5, 2020