Vision: Freedom Oklahoma's vision is to see a time when every person enjoys the right to be their authentic selves, free from the fear of discrimination and inequity. We strive towards attaining true lived equality for all Oklahomans without regard to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Mission: Freedom Oklahoma works to secure lived equality and legal protection for LGBTQ Oklahomans, women, queer youth, and other marginalized communities through advocacy, public education, coalition building, community support, and individual empowerment in the civic process.
For over 20 years, our parent organizations have served as a consistent voice for equality in Oklahoma, achieving benchmarks inconceivable by the founders of the organization. Freedom Oklahoma was established in 2015, after then Oklahoma City-based Cimarron Alliance and Tulsa-based TEN (The Equality Network) elected to coalesce their efforts. Since that time, Freedom Oklahoma has continued to advance its efforts towards securing freedom and equality for all Oklahomans.
Freedom Oklahoma is made up of both a 501(c)(3) and a 501(c)(4) division.
The Executive Director (ED) of Freedom Oklahoma will be a dynamic and proven leader who will work with the Board and staff to fulfill the organization’s vision and mission.
The Executive Director has four major areas of responsibility:
1. Serve as administrator of the organization, including fiscal oversight, personel management, and managing all programs and activities.
2. Develop and execute the fundraising programs of the organization.
3. Build and foster community coalitions and direct all levels of organizational communication for Freedom Oklahoma.
4. Lead an ongoing strategic planning effort and manage implementation of that plan.
• Manage/perform the day-to-day operations of the organization including the recruitment and training of staff and volunteers.
• Encourage and promote professionalism among staff and volunteers through management, development, and evaluation processes and activities.
• Develop and implement performance metrics with clear accountabilities and measures for success.
• Encourage teamwork, coordination, collaboration, and focus within the staff.
• Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
• Develop an annual budget and monitor/control expenditures and financial outlook in coordination with the treasurer and the finace committee of the board of directors.
• Oversee financial and administrative functions to ensure immediate and long-term fiscal integrity of the organization.
• Maintain an innovative approach to management, exploring and implementing initiatives that facilitate financial success.
• Protect the organization’s interests by ensuring legal and regulatory compliance.
Manage all grant awards in compliance with grant provisions.Fundraising
• Serve as Freedom Oklahoma’s chief fundraiser and implement a system to grow the financial resources of the organization to include individual, corporate and foundational giving, special events, appropriate grants, and relevant partnerships.
• Maintain positive personal relationships with key individual and institutional funders.
• Expand the organization’s base of financial support.
• Prepare an annual plan for all fundraising events and activities.
• Support the operations and administration of the board to include meeting logistics, meeting preparation and proceedings, documentation of board-approved organizational policies.
• Provide information to the Board as requested and carry out Board directives.
• Support board development efforts by identifying and recommending emerging leaders for board service, and by leading or participating in board training as appropriate/necessary.
• Attend all board meetings and participate in ongoing executive and other committee meetings as required.
Coalition Building and Communications
• In coordination with the board of directors, finalize and implement strategic plan for Freedom Oklahoma.
• Establish and communicate clear and concise priorities and a roadmap to achieve them.
• Translate the vision of the organization into achievable and measurable benchmarks through the completion of a strategic plan.
• Provide visionary leadership to the organization.
• Engage, motivate, and grow Freedom Oklahoma’s supporter base.
• Build strong working relationships with local state, regional, and national leaders and enlist support for accomplishing goals and tasks.
• Serve as a public advocate and media-ready spokesperson for the organization and its mission in the state and within the broader LGBTQ and allied social justice movements.
• Build and improve external communications, public speaking opportunities, messaging, and the visibility of the organization.
• Strengthen partnerships and forge alliances among diverse partners including businesses, other local and national LGBTQ and social justice organizations, allies, legislators, and the faith community.
Legislative Advocacy and Leadership
• Be an effective, trusted public advocate and spokesperson before public bodies.
• Coordinate efforts to impact policy and legislation through development of functioning relationships with policy makers.
• Expand political advocacy work.
• Advocate for trans rights, anti-racism, gender equality, and LGBTQ issues and inclusions.
• 3-5 years experience in senior management level positions in non-profit, social service, governmental, or corporate sectors.
• Fiscal management and supervisory experience.
• Understanding of nonprofit accounting practices.
• Experience creating and managing budgets.
• Experience with forecasting revenues and managing expenses to maintain a balanced budget and cash flow.
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds from foundations and private sources.
• Demonstrated donor relations experience.
• Demonstrated experience working with and reporting to a board of directors.
• Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, verbal & written.
• Exceptional speaking & presentation skills.
• Excellent organization skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to develop, initiate, and maintain new programs.
• Ability to communicate strategically and effectively via social media and other platforms.
• Ability to manage time, evaluate progress, and adjust activities as necessary.
• Committed to the vision and mission of Freedom Oklahoma.
• Proven history of effective leadership and staff supervision.
• Committed to team building and staff development.
• Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with community leaders, organizations and government bodies.
• Knowledge of and commitment to LGBTQ issues and activism.
• Exceptional work ethic.
• Commitment to diversity.
• Strong personal ethics.
• Ability to work collaboratively within diverse groups of people.
• Ability to differentiate between personal opinion and organizational positions in communications.
• Self-motivated and self-directed.
• Persistent and determined.
• Receptive to board oversight and direction.
Position Reports to: Board of Directors
Hours and Salary: Full time. Salary commensurate with experience.
To Apply for this Job:
Please call (580) 284-9101 or submit your resume along with cover letter and at least 3 references to email@example.com.
Application Deadline: Monday, October 15, 2018