Facilities Maintenance Assistant
Under limited supervision, the building assistant performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work in the oversight and maintenance for all Sunbeam physical facilities, including the 14th street and Educare campuses to ensure the effective operation of agency facilities. The building assistant should have knowledge of maintenance, grounds keeping and equipment repair.
All employees and volunteers are expected to be sensitive to our client’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics, reflect Sunbeam Family Services core values and to perform at Sunbeam’s standards of excellence at all times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Performs required duties in a manner that demonstrates compliance with Sunbeam's Culturally Competent Practice Policy.
2. Troubleshoots minor maintenance problems involving electrical, structural, plumbing, and equipment repair and replacement. Performs building repair and maintenance on facilities as approved by Building Manager.
3. Conducts scheduled or periodic inspection of all facilities and equipment as part of preventative/remedial maintenance program. Conducts periodic inspections of property to insure HVAC, geo-thermal, electrical, alarm, keypad, locks and plumbing systems are in good working order. Completes all preventative maintenance forms within the time frame they are to be completed in such a manner that maintenance work meets expectations, is cost effective and so that fire and safety inspections are passed according to licensing standards
4. Assists in maintaining HVAC and geo-thermal system. Replaces filters as scheduled.
5. Assists in proper maintenance, inspection, and tagging of all fire extinguishers.
6. Diagnoses equipment failures and performs repairs if qualified to do so
7. Assists in providing oversight of work performed by independent contractors doing building repairs.
8. Responsible for assigned tasks pertaining to the telephone, pest control, water softner and other building maintenance needs.
9. Performs routine plumbing repairs such as unstopping toilets, sinks or urinals, fixing water leaks, leaking faucets, and water fountains.
10. Assists in providing oversight for janitorial and lawn maintenance, to insure that agency properties are kept sanitary and free of debris so that clients and employees can feel safe and secure in the environment provided by the agency.
11. Assists in providing oversight for phone, alarm, camera and thermostat control systems to ensure that all areas are functioning and remain functioning for staff safety, comfort and productivity.
12. Performs routine electrical repairs such as changing light bulbs or fluorescent lamps and assists in repairing ballast and light fixtures.
13. Repairs and replaces door knobs or locks, repairs door closures, patches holes in walls.
14. Assembles, installs and arranges classroom and office furniture, hangs pictures, moves and sets up tables and chairs as needed.
15. Serves as backup to janitorial service in regular and ordinary cleaning of all facilities. (Is responsible for oversight of janitorial service to insure service is performing up to expectations.)
16. Perform building repair and maintenance on facilities e.g. caulks windows, and doors, repairs and replaces broken windows, on as needed basis or as requested by the Program Director.
17. Responsible for cleanliness of grounds, buildings and waste disposal dumpsters at Sunbeam and Educare Facilities.
18. Oversees lawn maintenance to ensure that the grounds are kept free of debris, and playground maintenance to ensure that the equipment is kept in good working order.
19. Assists with Health and Safety checklist
20. Perform occasional duties such as cleaning and de-icing of walkways.
21. Performs other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or GED preferred
Building maintenance experience required
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Clearance of background check and drug screen.
Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Basic plumbing, electrical and painting skills required.
Must be able to read assembly instructions.
Must be able to work with a diverse population.
Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Must have general working knowledge of carpentry, masonry, drywall, painting, and building maintenance and repair.
Skill in using hand and power tools
Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
Skills in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
Skill in maintaining effective and satisfactory working relationships with intra-department and inter-department staff.
Ability to use computer knowledge to view and adjust HVAC system as needed
Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions with ability to read, interpret, and implement information efficiently and effectively.
Ability to lead and motivate co-workers to meet and exceed standards.
Must have general knowledge of electrical circuits, carpentry and building repair, plumbing and heating/cooling maintenance.
COMPUTER EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:
• Electric Power Tools: table saws, drills, sanders, etc.
• Hand Tools: hammers, screwdrivers, chisels, etc.
• Intermediate knowledge of computer applications, including Outlook, word-processing software in a Windows environment and the ability to learn and master other computer technology /software programs as needed.
• Experience in use of standard office equipment.
To Apply for this Job:
Please visit http://sunbeamfamilyservices.org/careers/