Scissortail Park Chief Operating Officer
Scissortail Park Foundation is seeking a creative, experienced and energetic person to join our leadership team to work closely with the CEO/President to manage the daily operations of Scissortail Park, a major new park currently under construction in downtown Oklahoma City.
About Scissortail Park
The 70 acre Scissortail Park, designed by internationally-acclaimed landscape architecture firm, Hargreaves and Associates, links the heart of the city to the Oklahoma River, long aspired to and now part of the city’s “Core to Shore” master downtown development plan. This $135 million project is funded by a city-wide civic improvement tax. The new park, located just a block south of Myriad Botanical Gardens, will feature extensive gardens, a Great Lawn and outdoor performance venue, a lake and boathouse, a café, recreational facilities, children’s play areas, dog park, a civic scaled interactive fountain and multiple walking/jogging paths, all set within regionally-specific native woodland and prairie landscapes. Over 1,000 trees will be planted in the 36-acre Upper Park with hundreds more in the 34 acre Lower Park.
The 36-acre Upper Park is scheduled to open in the summer of 2019 with the 34-acre Lower Park due to open in 2021. The Lower Park will feature naturalized planting areas, walking and biking trails, a community garden and youth farm, outdoor amphitheater and soccer fields. This park will further define Oklahoma City as a destination while greatly enhancing the downtown experience and lifestyle for residents and visitors.
In addition to the park’s infrastructure features, a varied mix of year-round programming will further make the park a major destination site for a diverse audience of residents and visitors including convention audiences attending programs at the new convention center currently being built across the street on the east side of the park. For more information and images of the new park, please visit: http://www.hargreaves.com/work/scissortail-park/
Scissortail Park’s operations will be managed by Scissortail Park Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit, overseen by Parks Management Company that also manages Myriad Botanical Gardens in downtown Oklahoma City. In 2015, Myriad Botanical Gardens was the recipient of the Urban Land Institute’s International Open Space Award for best new urban green space in the United States and the Charles Schusterman Award for Nonprofit Management Excellence.
Chief Operating Officer Position
The Chief Operating Officer will play a critical role in helping launch and oversee daily management of Scissortail Park operations. The position will provide leadership to achieve overall organization’s goals and coordinate activities within all departments, projects and initiatives. The department areas include: Events, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, Development, Facilities, Horticulture and Grounds, Education and Community Engagement.
• Supports the CEO/President of Parks Management Company to ensure highly-productive, day to-day management of Scissortail Park.
• Serves as an advisor to the CEO/President and as a role model /mentor to other staff.
• Contributes to creating and maintaining a positive organization culture that values integrity, strong work ethic, problem solving, excellence, resilience, creativity and community inclusion, both internally and externally.
• Helps establish and execute organizational priorities and procedures and protocols for park start-up operations and on-going, day-to-day management of all operations.
• Works with CEO, CFO and senior managers to facilitate planning and strategy for short and longer term initiatives to continually enhance the park as a visitor destination that is financially sustainable.
• Supervises all phases of daily management, including concession operations, safety, sanitation, equipment, utilities, enforcement of rules and service to the public.
• Facilitates intra-department communications and coordination so all departments share information effectively and support one another as needed.
• Monitors resource and personnel allocation to ensure park is appropriately staffed and resourced.
• Maintains records, prepares reports, and composes correspondence as needed.
• Participates in HR decisions regarding department Directors, approves salaries and participates in key hires and terminations. Identify training needs and execute training programs as needed.
• Conducts or participates in annual reviews for department directors
• Works closely with Park Management Company CEO and CFO to monitor and manage annual operating budget and capital project budgets and other special initiatives.
• Represents Scissortail Park at public forums, media, park tours and other events or gatherings.
Supervision of Direct Reports:
Director of Business Development
Director of Development
Director of Education and Public Programs
Director of Lower Park Public Programs
Director of Horticulture and Grounds
Director of Facilities
Executive Assistant and Office Manager
• A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five years management experience preferably at a park, botanical garden, cultural institution or other visitor destination.
• Excellent communication, organizational, diplomatic and listening skills.
• Capable of developing and implementing clear goals, systems and priorities.
• Passion and high energy for consistently maintaining a well-organized, clean, safe and beautiful public green space to improve the quality of life in downtown Oklahoma.
• Enthusiasm for learning about new ideas, best practices, creative programming, maintenance and other organizational improvements for public park management.
• Big picture and detail-oriented
• Ability to work with a range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training and career stages.
• Able to multitask, plan, and execute short to long term projects and deadlines.
• Ability to analyze and identify core problems to correct and make and implement decisions efficiently
• Ability to thrive in a daily environment where unanticipated problems arise that require immediate attention.
• Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors in varying weather conditions.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
To Apply for this Job
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. You will be contacted only if considered for an initial phone or in-person interview.