Under the supervision of the Urban Harvest Director, the Summer Assistant will be responsible for daily tasks related to the care of garden grounds and growing facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performing routine gardening tasks such as the cultivation, seeding, mulching, and weeding of growing areas, as well as pest control and fertilization duties.
• Managing irrigation of growing areas and greenhouse facilities, including hand watering and the operation of drip irrigation systems.
• Harvesting crops and completing post-harvest tasks such as rinsing, bagging, and labeling produce.
• Supervising volunteer groups in the completion of basic gardening and composting activities.
• Other duties as assigned by Urban Harvest Director.
Education and/or experience in horticulture, gardening, or farming, leading to ability to perform duties of job description. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but may be higher when operating equipment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Language Skills - Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff and superiors. Ability to consistently maintain basic duty logs. Ability to read and understand written instructions procedural documents.
• Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to solve basic algebra and geometry problems as relate to real world equipment usage and maintenance, storage needs and agricultural materials handling.
• Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Technical Ability - Must be able to use basic internet applications to check payroll and human resources information.
• Personal Skills – Must be a self-starter who is driven and capable of keeping track of multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Must be highly organized with an ability to pay attention to detail; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships; strategic, creative, progressive thinker. Ability to work with limited supervision and high motivation.
REQUIRED PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
• Integrity, enthusiasm, perspective, flexibility, and a strong work ethic.
• A desire to be a part of an innovative, entrepreneurial organization with the ability to prioritize, move quickly, and maintain strong follow-through in a dynamic environment.
• Superior writing and oral communication skills; ability to understand and translate information for intended audiences with clarity, crispness, and elegance.
• A deep appreciation for, and an ability to articulate, the mission of the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma.
• The intellectual depth, maturity, wisdom, and collaborative skills to garner the trust and confidence of donors, volunteer leaders, staff, and other constituents.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people at all levels, and a strong commitment to teamwork.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Clearance of background investigation, drug screen and physical examination.
• Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record.