Paseo Arts Association (PAA), seeks a full time Executive Director. A community builder and place-maker, the successful candidate will be the public face of PAA locally, municipally and regionally. A hands-on, passionate advocate and spokesperson for the Paseo Arts District as a destination hub within the wider Oklahoma City community, s/he will seek at all times to enhance PAA’s standing and influence. Specifically, the Executive Director will lead the PAA to:
• Fulfill its vision and progress its mission.
• Build on its successful platform of community-based arts programs and events, and continue to foster wider relationships, associations, and partnerships.
• Articulate its possibilities through effective administration, revenue-generation (including sponsorship, outreach and fundraising), and advocacy.
PAA MISSION: To foster and maintain an environment for artistic growth in the community. The PAA provides the opportunity for cultural exchange between artists and the public through exhibits, performances, festivals and educational programs.
PAA VISION STATEMENT: The PAA seeks to enrich, educate, entertain, engage and inspire through the arts.
THE PASEO ARTS DISTRICT: The Paseo Arts District was developed by G.A. Nichols in 1929 as the first shopping district north of downtown and is located adjacent to the Uptown 23rd Street Corridor and north of the Midtown District in Oklahoma City. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it has carefully maintained its Spanish revival architecture and thoughtfully and purposefully evolved into a destination arts district which aims to apply best practices on place-making and programming that appeals to diverse audiences Now home to 20 galleries and more than 75 artists and includes restaurants, an event center, art schools, boutiques, gift shops and other businesses, it is an active participant in Oklahoma’s cultural district program and has reinvigorated the local economy with creative energy. Among its many awards and recognitions is the American Planning Association’s 2010 Award as one of the Top 10 Great Neighborhoods.
THE PASEO ARTS ASSOCIATION: The PAA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization established to foster an environment of cultural exchange between the public and the arts through performances, festivals, and educational programming. Its membership is made up of artists and business owners in the Paseo Arts District area as well approximately 300 artists and members of the larger Oklahoma community. The PAA is also deeply embedded in its local communities through special relationships and provision of programming opportunities with Harding Fine Arts Charter High School, Edgemere Elementary, and Boys & Girls Club.
EVENTS AND PROGRAMMING: The PAA hosts the more than 30 year old Paseo Arts Festival which takes place every Memorial Day weekend, attracting more than 60,000 people to enjoy original artwork in a wide variety of media as well as musicians and other live performers on two stages. It also holds monthly Gallery Walks the First Friday of every month, an annual Artists Awards Banquet, as well organizing and hosting Feast, a series of quarterly community dinners that fund artists by providing micro grants to innovative projects. The PAA also coordinates arts and education programs each year including the Fairie Ball and Magic Lantern in conjunction with Once Upon a Stardance Swan. Additionally the Executive Director maintains a gallery space, Paseo ArtsSpace, with regular office hours in the PAA offices at 3022 Paseo. The PAA also provides additional arts/educational programming and special events throughout the year.
THE POSITION: The Executive Director will lead Paseo Arts Association (PAA) in fulfillment of its objectives as its public face and chief advocate, as well as primary coordinator of its activities and revenue-generation. Responsible to the PAA Board of Directors, the successful candidate will also serve as a Board resource, providing advice and guidance to ensure informed decision-making. S/he will also act as a knowledgeable resource to each committee and to all event volunteers.
An effective manager/administrator who facilitates progressive community development, programming, and outreach, the Executive Director will be a catalyst in advancing PAA’s public image and cultural influence. With a resilient, optimistic personal persona that establishes instant credibility, creates trust, and inspires people at all levels to achieve the right results, s/he will have a demonstrable appreciation and understanding of how arts and culture are essential pillars of effective community-building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Partnerships/ Community
· Special Events
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities Required: Equally able to operate at the strategic and the hands-on, operational level, the successful candidate will have:
- A passion for the mission of the organization;
- 3+ years of established leadership, managerial, administrative, communication and interpersonal skills that include presentation and advocacy expertise;
- The stature to positively influence a wide range of constituencies, a natural flair for effective networking and relationship building, conflict resolution skills and the ability to bring a diverse group of stakeholders together in a collaborative, partnership orientation;
· A track record of progression in positions of responsibility that demonstrate successful strategic leadership, marketing and marketing communications (including new and social media), public relations, financial, and organizational management skills, and revenue-generation within the non-profit or commercial sector.
- Understanding of working with a Board of Directors in a non-profit environment;
· Understanding of and experience in successful ways of working with volunteers to achieve established goals;
- A relevant college degree;
· Outstanding organization skills, including managing multiple tasks simultaneously;
· Excellent telephone, written and oral communication skills;
· The ability to perform effectively under pressure and meet deadlines;
- The ability to work with people of all backgrounds and ages; and,
· Self-motivation with the ability to work with little supervision once objectives and tasks have been determined. Works well individually and as part of a team.
COMPENSATION: PAA offers a salary and benefits.
TO APPLY: All expressions of interest in the position must be received by April 11, 2014. Please send resume and a letter stating your interest in the position in confidence to: email@example.com
For more information, please contact:
Joy Reed Belt & Associates, Inc.
Post Office Box 54410
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73154
Phone: (405) 842-6336